Tonight's meal might not be the prettiest looking meal - but it was delicious. Definitely worth repeating, with a few tweaks (depending what we have in the kitchen). We had a few veggies, some leftover bread, and chicken breast that we didn't use on Tuesday. Then I went to the pantry to see what I could use to pull it all together. Both dishes cook in the oven together - saving time! Here's what I came up with:
Baked Chicken with mushroom sauce and breadcrumbs
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup (your favorite kind)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used soy milk)
- Appx. 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or combo of your favorite herbs)
- Appx. 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a casserole dish, mix the soup, milk, and seasoning.
Stir in chicken, covering with the soup mixture.
Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, covering the whole dish.
Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.
Quick Version of my Grandma's Southern Dressing (aka stuffing)
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots sliced into small coin sized pieces
- 1/2 onion, sliced into appx. 1/2" pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- About 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of poultry seasoning
- 1/2 loaf of bread, torn into 1" cubes
Cook in 350 degree oven with the chicken dish
Microwave butter for 1 minute in a large bowl.
Add carrots and onion and microwave for 5 minutes.
Add bread to the bowl and mix.
Add the eggs, chicken broth and seasoning, and mix.
Pour into a greased 8"x8" pan.
Bake for 30 minutes along with the chicken.
Serve and enjoy! You could swap out the soup for Cream of Broccoli or whatever cream soup you have on hand. You could also throw in some broccoli or spinach if you have it.
Prep time - about 10-15 minutes
Cook time -30 minutes
2 baking dishes, 1 large bowl, and a few spoons!